Liquid penetrant examination utilizes a penetrating oil with a red or fluorescent dye to penetrate surface breaking flaws for a designated dwell time. The penetrant is removed following the required time and a contrasting paint or fluorescent light is applied to show areas of residual penetrant which will vary in size in relation to the size of the discovered imperfection.
CGSB PT Level 2, and 3.
Liquid Penetrant Results:
- Effective for stress corrosion cracking, fractures, cracks, stress, and fatigue damages.
- Effective at determining the area of damages.
- Strong visual representation of damages.
- Performed in accordance with specific procedures.
- Compliance with CWB 178.1 or equivalent standard.